Monday 5 December 2011

Research

I initially was going to do a video for my friend Tom Carnell's band (Stereotypical Blues Train) using the band themselves, but as they weren't available to film, I decided to use actors and an existing song by The Fratellis instead. I have done my best to reconduct all my research to a more relevant degree. I'm hoping that my earlier research (relating more to the initial idea) will still be okay to be graded, as I simply recorded opinions on my idea, as used the enthusiasm I recieved as a positive sign towards my video. I accept it may damage my mark as I've not done very much for my new idea, but I made the choice to focus on creating the actual video and ancillary tasks in favour of my overall mark rather than the process I would normally follow.


[audio research here! - cant upload from home]


Despite the scarce research, I was influenced also by a shot in the My Chemical Romance video for 'The Ghost Of You' that uses green screen. It is at 1:28 of the video:

It is directed by Marc Webb - a complete legend! He's a director/producer/editor. He's recently directed 'The Amazing Spider Man' which is currently in the post-production stage, awaiting release in 2012. He directed '(500) Days Of Summer'; and in television: 'The Office' (!!!), and 'Lone Star' as well as a lot of documentaries. He inspires me because of his work in various areas, as I want to experiment a lot too; however mainly for his music videos. Here are just some of the bands he's produced videos for:

  • My Chemical Romance
  • Green Day
  • Good Charlotte (and their video with M. Shadows and Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold)
  • Weezer
  • Santana
  • Snow Patrol
  • AFI
  • The Used
  • Evanescence
  • Jimmy Eat World
  • Maroon 5
  • Hoobastank
  • Daniel Powter
Webb's video for 'The Ghost Of You' (the one above - sorry got sidetracked by his genius) has a special green screen shot at 1:28 that I love. I always wondered how it was done, and puzzled over it for ages. I had a theory and wanted to try it out. What I was going to do was to place a glass or clear plastic tray on a flat surface on top of the green screen and pour water into the tray. Then I would add a background so the water would spread across the background, as the sea spreads across the ballroom. However I couldn't figure out how to keep the constant points of the couples in the ballroom, and the rock things at the warzone.
So I tried using a smoke machine instead of water, and similarly sized objects instead of the larger markers. My attempt obviously didn't work, but I think (i hope) I may have been going along the right lines.


[my attempt]


I have since been told that there are behind the scenes clips on the bonus DVD of the MCR (My Chemical Romance) album that show how it was done. I'm going to watch it and try film it from the TV screen to upload to here.

No comments:

Post a Comment